If you have created multiple user accounts, Windows will start up at the Welcome screen and have you click on your user name to log on to the system. Windows will display a basic picture next to each user name and allows you to change to a different one that is included with Windows. However, what if you wanted to use an actual picture of yourself instead of one of the default pictures?. It's not a problem as you can replace the picture on the Welcome screen with another one and will even resize it properly to fit the picture box. Therefore, this technical brief will show you how to change the Welcome Screen Picture.
Changing The Windows XP Welcome Screen Picture
- Take a head shot picture with a digital camera and store it in the My Pictures folder.
- Go into your Control Panel by first clicking on the Start Button.
- Then click on the Control Panel icon located in the right column of the Start Menu.
- If your Start Menu is set to the Classic View, then begin by clicking on the Start Button.
- Then click on Settings, then click on the Control Panel icon to open up the Control Panel.
- Now, Double click on the User Accounts icon to open up the User Account's window.
- Then click your account name and then click on Change My Picture.
- You could click on a new default picture here if you like, but we will use the browse feature.
- Click on the Browse for more pictures link located at the bottom left hand side of the Pictures.
- Windows will open up in the My Pictures folder for you to select your head shot picture.
- Click on the head shot picture you want to use and then click on the Open button.
- Windows will now set this picture as the default for your user name in the Welcome Screen.
- Now close the User Account's window to return back to your Windows session.