Windows Vista™ allows us to Rename any File, Folder or Icon on our computer system. When you rename a file or any item of your choosing, you do not need to open the item in a program. All you have to do is use Windows Explorer or Computer to browse to the item you wish to rename and follow the steps below.
To Rename Files, Folders And Icons In Windows Vista
- Find the file, folder or icon you wish to rename.
- Then right-click on the file, folder or icon and select Rename.
- Or you can also press the F2 key on your Keyboard.
- This will convert the file, folder or icon name to a text box where you can edit the name.
- Type the new name and click the mouse cursor outside of the text box to save your changes.
- Windows Vista will then rename the file, folder or icon to the exact name specified.
Note: When renaming a file, do not change the file name extension if it is is displayed as it can render the file unusable. The file name extension is the last three characters after the period, such as txt or doc etc.