To protect computer uses from infecting their systems with viruses, Microsoft added a new security feature to Outlook Express that blocks access to file attachments and this is why you may see the "paper clip" symbol grayed out. Therefore, this technical brief will show you how to change this default setting so that you can view and open E-Mail attachments. However, ensure that you do have a good Virus and Spyware program monitoring your system before you freely allow attachments to be displayed and opened.
For Outlook Express
- Start Outlook Express in your usual manner.
- Then Click on the word Tools, which is contained in your top tool bar area.
- This will pull down a menu for you to now click on Options.
- Now click on the Security tab located at the top of the Options screen.
- Find the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" option
- Now use your mouse to remove the check mark from the box in front of this option.
- Then Click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save the changes.
- Outlook Express will now allow you to view and open your file attachments.