Believe it or not the good old Windows File Manager from Windows 3.1 is still available in Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows Millennium. However, Microsoft never included a shortcut to launch the File Manager program. This program actually resides in the Windows Directory under the file name Winfile.exe. Therefore, this technical brief will show you how to launch the good old Windows File Manager.
Launching The Windows File Manager
- Begin by first clicking on the Start Button.
- Then click on the Run Icon, which will open up the Run Menu for you.
- Locate the white area of the screen next to the word Open: in the Run Menu.
- Now type in the word WINFILE.EXE and click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen.
- This will Launch The good old Window's File Manager.
The Windows File Manager resides within the Windows Directory under the file name Winfile.exe. Therefore, if File Manager is a pastime favorite of yours, you can go into the Windows directory and create a shortcut to the Winfile.exe file. Unfortunately the Windows File Manager is no longer included within Windows XP. But you may substitute Explorer.exe in step number 4 outlined above to quickly launch Windows Explorer.