Whenever we load a new program on our computer, that new program usually assigns itself as the main program to open up all the associated files that it can. We often find this true with graphics programs that now "all of a sudden" open up all our bmp, gif, and jpg files for us. This change can be annoying if we were using a different program that we were more comfortable with. Therefore, this technical brief will show you how to change a particular file type back to whatever program you felt and were comfortably using.
Changing Files Back To Their Default File Association
- Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to browse to the file you want to change.
- Move your mouse directly over the File and press the Right Mouse Button (Right-Click).
- Then move your mouse onto the Open With menu folder until it expands.
- Now Click on the Choose Program menu choice at the bottom of the menu.
- Scroll down the list of programs to see if the program you want to use is listed there.
- If the program you want to use is listed there, then highlight it with your mouse.
- If the program is not listed there, then click on the Browse button to search for it.
- Highlight the program and find the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file option.
- Now place a check mark into the box to the left of it to always use the selected program.
- Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
- Windows will now use your selected program to always open the same file type with.
Note: This Technical Brief Will Work For All Operating Systems Including Windows XP.