The Windows Vista™ Recycle Bin has two different appearances: one when it is empty and one when it contains deleted items inside. Separate icons are used to represent the Recycle Bin in these two different states. If you like, you can change the default icons that are assigned by Windows.
To Change The Look Of The Windows Vista Recycle Bin
- Click the Start button located in the lower-left corner of the Windows Vista desktop.
- Then click on Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click on Appearance and Personalization.
- Then click on Personalization.
- In the left pane, click on Change desktop icons.
- In the list of desktop icons, click on Recycle Bin (full) or Recycle Bin (empty).
- Then click on Change Icon and select an icon from the list.
- Now click on OK to apply the settings.
- You would perform these steps for both Recycle Bin (full) and Recycle Bin (empty).
- Windows Vista will then change the Recycle Bin appearance based on your selections.
Note: To restore the Recycle Bin icons back to their default, you would click on Restore Default instead of Change Icon. If your desktop theme changes, your Recycle Bin icons may also change.