By default, Windows XP Home Edition does not install the Windows Backup utility component included within the Windows XP Professional Edition. Therefore, in order to back up the Registry and other critical system files, this Backup Utility component is required. Luckily, Microsoft provided us with the option of manually installing this Backup Utility program from the Windows XP Home Edition CD Rom. Therefore, this technical brief will show you how to manually install the Windows XP Home Edition Backup Utility Program.
Installing The Windows XP Home Edition Backup Program Utility
- Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD Rom and allow it to automatically run.
- From the main menu that appears, click on Perform additional tasks.
- Then click on Browse this CD on the second menu screen that appears.
- This will take you to the root directory of your CD Rom drive, which is usually (D:).
- Double click on the yellow VALUEADD folder until it opens up for you.
- Then double click on the yellow MSFT folder until it opens up for you.
- Then double click on the yellow NTBACKUP folder until it opens up for you.
- You should now be at the D:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP directory location.
- Now double click on the NTBACKUP.MSI file to begin the backup utility installation.
- Then click on the Finish button to exit the Backup Utility Installation Wizard.
- Then close the Windows XP Menu Screen and the My Computer directory window.
- The Backup icon will be placed in the Start/Program/Accessories/System Tools folder.
You Can Also Add Other Windows Components By Reading: How To Add / Remove Windows Components